Our pets become what we make them. It we treat them mean, they become mean. If we give them plenty of love they are very loving. Animals do not know hate as humans do, they only know love. You can make your animal behave as you would like him or her to not by using physical abuse but just in the tone of your voice.
If you can't be a responsible pet owner then you don't really need a pet. They are a huge responsibility and don't feel that you are doing them a favor by just taking them into your home. A pet without love, care and medical attention is as much abandoned as if it were left along side the road. Please let someone take the pet that will care for it and love it.
FACT..... Everyone in the household should have input on whether or not to have a pet and all be in agreement if the decision is made to bring an animal into the family. Make sure everyone is responsible enough to care for the animal and the idea isn't a "whim".
Ten Commandments of Responsible Pet Owners
1. My life is most likelyto last only 10-15 years. Any separation from you is very painful.
2. Please give me time to understand what you want from me.
3. Please trust me....it is crucial for my well being.
4. Please don't be angry with me for a long time, and don't lock me alone up as punishment. You have your work, your friends and your entertainment. I ONLY HAVE YOU!
5. Talk to me...even I don't understand your words. I understand your voice and love when you speak to me.
6. Be aware, that however you treat me, I will NEVER forget it.
7. Before you hit me remember that I have teeth that could easily hurt you but I choose NOT to bite you because I love you.
8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative or bad, ask yourself if maybe there is another reason for my behavior. Perhaps I am sick, hot, old, or just plain tired and weak. Please try to understand me.
9. Take care of me when I get old, for you will grow old also. Please take me to the vet when I am sick. I may need medicine or medical help to get better.
10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch" or "do it when I leave". Everything is easier for ME if you are there. Remember I love you.......